Advertisement

Is it Still Possible to be a Good Person?

Is it Still Possible to be a Good Person? The third season of The Good Place made me think a lot of things. Like, too many for a four minute video, but also, I think I managed to shove a lot in here.

One thing I didn't get it as that there's actually a bad side to the way folks like me like to engage with the world. There's the curiosity about why the world is the way that it is, that's good. There's a desire to make the world better, that's good. But there is also a real interest in, like, just finding reasons why things are bad. It's a cognitive bias towards "the world sucks" and I kinda hate it. It's generally strongest in backlash to the popularity of something, and I kinda hate it.

I think people can sometimes conflate a desire to care for the world with a desire to tear down LITERALLY EVERYTHING. And when people actually do get off on tearing things down just for the fun of it, it delegitimizes the real problems. Folks who like to see things in a fairly simple way see that behavior and they think, "Oh, that's just liberals, they hate everything."

We need to do more than hate, we need to see the world through more than just the lens of judgement and objectivism. I want to talk more about this soon!!!



----
Subscribe to our newsletter!
And join the community at
Help transcribe videos -
John's twitter -
Hank's twitter -
Hank's tumblr -
Listen to The Anthropocene Reviewed at
Listen to Dear Hank and John at

the good place,philosophy,objectivisim,media,criticism,hank green,pizzamas,vlogbrothers,

Post a Comment

0 Comments