Advertisement

'Making our voices heard is a right, not a privilege'- Children rights advocate

'Making our voices heard is a right, not a privilege'- Children rights advocate Felipe Caetano, 17 years old children rights advocate, makes an opening speech at the first meeting of UNICEF's Second Executive Board Regular Session.

He tells the story of how he was a victim of child labour at 8 years old in his country, Brazil.

"I was completely worn out when it was time to go to school"

He thanks UNICEF and other institutions that remove children from work and bring them to education.

"It was exactly through UNICEF that I learned about my rights, that I learned that as a child I had several rights".

"But I couldn't just go on with my life after leaving child labor, so I decided to fight, fight so that other children can have the same opportunity".

Working with local government, he helped fight child labor in his state and at a national level.

"We are children who often show that we are capable of changing the world".

"I am not just Felipe (...) I'm every girl and every boy who has their rights violated, every child whose voice cannot be heard because of the violence"

He mentions the consequences in his region of child labor and the importance of fighting for children rights as it occurs all over the world.

"Only education and citizen engagement by children and teenagers will be able to change the world".

dpiavl,english,topics/issues,6085317761001,

Post a Comment

0 Comments