Advertisement

Polishing a Large Puddingstone

Polishing a Large Puddingstone Learn how I polish large puddingstones.

Here are the steps I took to polish this.

I started with my normal, dry angle grinder. The cup wheel is 50/60 grit, but is way more aggressive than the soft 30 grit wheel I followed it with. The angle grinder also spins much faster than the wet stone polisher. I spent 17 minutes shaping the rock and removing holes in it.

Next I moved to the wet stone polisher. This has a soft backer, so the pads can flex to the shape of the rock. The grits and times are as follows:
30 grit - 40 min.
50 grit - 11 min.
100 grit - 11 min.
200 grit - 11 min.
400 girt - 8 min.
800 grit - 11 min.
1500 grit - 10 min.
3000 grit - 8 min.

At the end, I used a cloth polishing wheel with aluminum oxide polish. I think I'll skip this step in the future. I don't think it made much, if any, difference.

Polished Puddingstone,how to polish rocks,wet grinder,michigan puddingstone,michigan pudding stone,michigan rocks,michigan,before and after,pudding stone,puddingstone,polishing a large rock,how to polish a large rock,how to polish a big rock,how to polish a boulder,

Post a Comment

0 Comments